Saturday, October 30, 2010

Keep the Sunny Side Up

Latest bullshit I keep running into: “Until moderate Muslims publicly denounce extremists, we shouldn’t trust any of them.”

From the place I hail from
to my latest projections
it's been a melting pot
of over-consumption and deflated ids
and I have a mind
and a knot
from always playing with my tie
and my skin crinkles in
Qu'est-ce que c'est?

In the box where I live
in the cave where I work
I'm making names for myself
I am making the worst
of almost crimes
and your kids
won't begin to understand it
Cos they're all dying to get in
all the scenes that you abandoned
I have the time
to be weird
to be wrong
I got mine
and I got years
and I've had 'em all along
catching up with me

You gotta keep the sunny side up
keep the sunny side up




New York City is the Place Where

It’s been a hot June, it’ll be a hotter July
It’s supposed to rain soon, maybe tonight
I take the L out, I take the L back in
But tonight the Q has got me waiting

Remember going out on Avenue B?
My first BYOB in Alphabet City!
After drinks, we headed for the bar
and when it was time to head home, we took a car

Or remember when you all took me in
when I didn’t have a place to live?
About the disappearance of that gin
after I moved out—
I gotta say I don’t think it was there when I moved in.

And how about that month I had to take those pills?
I bought that suit that’s still down in Clinton Hill
I left it at that place I was subletting,
The day we moved to that place on Roebling

Tonight the Q has got me waiting,
but the view will make it worth it.

I’m waiting for a train
To take me to my home
It’s taking its sweet time
I’m waiting for my train

4 comments:

  1. So good. I really love both of these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well they're song lyrics so you know they're better when there's the music there too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've never heard that second one, but dammit if i don't seriously miss the first one. both of these are fantastic, drew!

    ReplyDelete